I love Sindbad, You love Sindbad. We all love Sindbad . Yes we do! Sindbad is our go-to place every other weekend for obvious reasons
- Refreshing outing with entertainment maintains my kiddo’s sanity
- I love the games equally. Since I am not that old, I have some childhood memories from Sindbad too hehe!
Receiving invitation to celebrate mother’s day at our favorite place was over joyous for me and my son.
I was definitely looking forward to some cool celebrations and an ultimate mom’s day out at the newly renovated jungle themed Sindbad at dolmen mall tariq road. Did I mention new spinning bumper car ride was the one we were most excited for?
So yeah yesterday was Mother’s day and we spent an hour at Sindbad enjoying all the games and rides. My son enjoyed the perks his mommy received as blogger while I was thrilled with the bumper car ride.
Here are the glimpses of how we celebrated our day at Sindbad.
Trying to get some candies for me. yep! Just kidding. I didn’t get one. He treated himself with all.
We have some great obsession with cars. Hence this ride is mandatory.
some more games!
These bumper cars were the highlight of the day. Why? because we adults can take the ride too and that’s the best part indeed. Also, this ride can let the entire family enjoy a ride together and hold a small competition as they have score board too. Get on the car and spin yourself to some craziness! Unfortunately we didn’t win this competition from other mom bloggers but loved the thrilling ride.
Thank you sindbad for these lovely goodies. Absolutely loved the bookmark and mask. Divine cupcake was a yummy treat for me which of course I had to share 😀
Day spent and celebrated well. Thank you so much Sindbad for making efforts of going an extra mile to see mommies happy with their kiddos.
May you keep making families happy always!
Hi there everyone!
Hope my blog will benefit you and motivate you to pursue your studies.
Because when there is a will, there is a way.
Bit long but sharing my entire journey so that it is easier for you to decide.
Life brings in different circumstances for all us. We have to compromise somehow but there are always ways out to achieve your aspirations.
About my journey, I was unable to continue my bba after 1st semester from a reputable university due to some personal reasons and this always made me regret. I did my certification in multimedia and advertising from ARENA MULTIMEDIA but I was least interested and creative in graphic designing so it did not bring in any benefit to me. I started working as a content writer and realized my potential for writing but obviously I didn’t have any relevant degree to pursue this career of journalism professionally. I was married at the age of 19 and wanted to achieve Bachelor’s degree with desperation as all my friends were studying in reputable universities, I enrolled for B.COM in GOVT College after marriage. Here again I was not at all interested in accounting and such subjects. My complicated pregnancy allowed me to escape from this program too. AGAIN A REGRET.
After my son was 2 years, the love for degree program ignited again but I couldn’t afford the hassle of re-applying for my intermediate mark sheet, and take regular coaching classes for any program as leaving home with small child was not easy for me. I started looking for accessible and easy options. One lucky day, one of my mentor suggested me to look up for VIRTUAL UNIVERSITY degree programs. And there I found a distant learning degree program which suited my interest and accessibility.
I chose to explore the entire website and finally enrolled for 2 year degree program BA in mass communication. Yes I finally found a program catering to my interest. 2 years were not easy for me considering a busy life with family and part-time work.
Anyways I would like to guide and share my experience about this distant learning program with people sailing in the same boat so that the doubts are cleared.
Entire process is bit easier one. You have to first fill a form online and submit all necessary details. They will get back to you through email if you are eligible for the program. They will verify your previous degree online through your credentials or roll number. My intermediate degree was verified through my roll number. Then comes the fee paying process through bank and submitting the documents on campus.
Apply online here
There are two campus in Karachi. One is at shahrae faisal. One at north nazimabad.
Rest of the campuses in different cities can be checked on their website.
Study schemes, fee structures, eligibility criteria, credit hours etc., everything is mentioned on their official website.
they have 2 year, 4 year, masters, post graduate diploma and various certificate courses.
For local fee structure:
Once your admission is finalized, you will get access to online learning management system through user name and password assigned to you.
This learning management is user-friendly and more like an online university.
All the chosen courses for respective semester or study scheme have their video lessons, time table, grading schemes, lecture handouts etc.
There is a schedule uploaded for the video lessons for all courses however you can always watch video lessons at your own convenience.
All quizzes, assignment and graded discussion board happen online.
Glimpse of LMS
How I survived this all?
There is different grading scheme for all courses so you can check the weightage of marks for every course. Quizzes and assignments give you advantage if you are unable to score good during mids and finals.
Sometimes I was unable to attend few quizzes or submit few assignments but eventually my hard work in finals and mids helped me to secure good GPA in all 4 semesters. 4 semesters for 2 year degree program. Your number of semesters depend upon your degree program.
Yes for each semester you have to visit your chosen campus for midterm and final exams.
About their examination format?
First of all, we have to make our own date sheet when the portal opens this option in given dates. We can choose our own preferred dates and time slots from the given one. Seats get filled really fast so we need to keep track of portal opening so that we can choose date and time of our convenience else we have to choose slots having empty seats.
For exams we have to visit campus.
Academic calendar specifies the starting date of midterms, finals and other important dates.
Exams happen online (on computer) at campus. Subjective and objective (MCQs) both.
Exam password is given when you make a date sheet.
I was unable to watch all videos as most of my courses were theoretical so I purchased books of handouts through website and covered my subjects through reading lessons mostly. However to clear the concepts of practical subjects, you will need to watch videos. You can purchase a CD of al lectures or download all at once from lab if your internet access is weak.
To clear exams, your concepts should be clear. NO ratta system. No filling exam sheets tension. If your answer is logically correct, you will score well.
Various portals and facebook groups by students have past papers for different courses which will give you an idea about their examination pattern.
Your study scheme will tell you about your requirements of project/viva/internship in last semester. Mine didn’t have any project or internship requirement as I was a two year program.
Now coming towards few frequently asked questions I come across?
Is fee structure reasonable?
Is degree HEC recognized?
The Virtual University has been established by the Government of Pakistan. As such, its degrees are recognized nationally as well as internationally. Please visit the HEC web-site (http://www.hec.gov.pk/OurInstitutes/Pages/Default.aspx)
Are the courses competent?
Yes. I did one semester from a reputable university so I can confidently say that courses of VU are competent enough. Knowledge I gained by learning these courses made me confident enough to apply it in practical jobs or journalism career.
Virtual University programs are based on curricula developed by the Higher Education Commission (HEC). The course outlines used in these curricula are based on international demands and standards.
Is management cooperative?
Yes very much. In my second semester I took part in coco cola MENA scholarship program and made it to semifinalists. I needed urgent transcripts and teacher recommendation letter from VU which seemed impossible to me as it was urgent but administration from head office cooperated and arranged all necessary documents for me.
If you want to go for regular BA or BCOM program I will suggest to for private degree from KU as it will save the hassle of semester system and appearing for exams 4 times a year however Virtual University is the best option if you cannot go for regular classes for 4 year degree programs or other ones.
This is it. I hope you get your answers and will think about continuing your studies.
Dream big. Achieve big.
Remember me in your prayers.
Binish Umair. https://www.facebook.com/binish.umair?ref=bookmarks
Founder Karachi Schools’ Guide https://www.facebook.com/groups/karachischoolsguide/
Parenting is no laidback task, we all know it and swaying it totally in your own eyes is another story. Oh we so wish that we received a customized parenting guide from ALLAH for our every child but that’s also not happening. Every child is different so expecting the same outcome from all kids in a group or family is totally unfair to them. However there is one applicable things by all parents which can definitely produce amazing results in longer run. Oh wait? Did I say applicable? Yes it is applicable but it needs heaps of courage from a parent to do make this entire phenomenon happen and that too HABITUALLY.
Well, no! I am not talking about any rocket science or philosophy. I just want to say that
Let our kids…
MAKE CHOICES OFTEN!
Start with the basics. Small stuff yes.
I will share my personal experience here. Few days back, my 4.6 year old son had a winter celebration at his school for which he had to dress up in cute jacket or winter clothing. I wanted him to wear the newest from wardrobe but he was insistent to wear his bit old spider man jacket with a hoodie cum mask. He was too excited and finally I gave up. I let him wear his fav hoodie and boy! what a joy I witnessed on his face early morning melted my heart. Moreover, the thought of not imposing my choice was another satisfaction. I realized he wouldn’t be same enthusiastic if I would have made him wear my choice of clothes.
Now, there are times when child MUST do something and we as a parent cannot give them space to make choices however we can always change our approach. For example, you have to feed veggies to your child.
Don’t say EAT It. YOU HAVE TO EAT IT NO MATTER WHAT.
Instead, if possible you eat it first. Then you can say, “Veggies make you strong and you have to eat must but you can always choose how to take them. Either with some dips or a sandwich.”
Going for grocery shopping with kids is like going to battlefield without any safety measures. Yea! No safety measures for going out of budget. Here, again we can imply the same approach of letting them make choices. Give them a budget and allow them to choose what they want to buy. Sometimes their choices might be a failure but trust me they realize it and you will witness the difference in your next trip. My son always picks up lots of chocolates and candies and kinder egg but we ask him to choose one thing and eventually he choose one. Mostly kinder egg because candy with a toy is a bonus for him 😀
Once you get into this habit of allowing your kids to make choices, you will be amazed with the transformation with their growing age. Moreover, you will witness countless such small opportunities where you will feel less burdened because your child is now independent to make a choice himself. Also, with time kids will also realize that if they are making choices, they will also be liable for consequences.
Let them make choices and they will understand the meaning of partnership, decision-making, control, failure and wins. It is very important to understand that as a parent when we need to step in and when to step back.
like and share if you think we should do this one thing often to our kids.
There are many queries on group about how to improve child’s spoken English and these repeated questions made me write this blog post. We all are more concerned about how our child converse or communicate in a certain language, however firstly we should concentrate more on developing overall communication skills of our kids. Instead of limiting their skills to a specified paradigm or language, we should let them communicate at their comfort in order to enhance their expressions and point of views. I am not denying to the fact that kids are adaptable to more than one language since early childhood but right now we need to pay more attention to the inclusive communication building and social skills.
According to the recent public survey, 90% of public voted in favor of communication skill as a requirement for children to success in world today and ahead.
Indeed it is.!
And from when a baby starts to communicate and with whom?
Remember those little kicks you felt in your womb when you satisfied your pregnancy cravings? Happiness expressed well from very start to the mommy and later on when the little munchkin entered this world, both the parents equally contribute towards the development of communication skills of their child. May it be verbal or non-verbal communication?
So the topic is gigantic and we can definitely work upon the series of such skills to build into our children. Let’s start from very basic things. Who play the most important role to build, develop and improve communication skills in a child? You! Yes mommy and daddy! Later school, teachers and peers play their part.
How can you do your job well?
Need to follow some elementary tips in start and definitely you will be surprised with the difference.
Be a good listener:
Yes sounds easy no? But how many of you bother to listen to those cute little stories or about little quarrels they had with their friends in school?
Obviously you do while preparing their lunch or watching TV. This is exactly where we go wrong. Our kids need uninterrupted listening from our side so that their urge to communicate and speak increases. They will be surely least bothered if they find you an aloof listener. Let them talk more, let them express and be there to listen without your phone, TV, kitchen etc.
Ask for their opinions whenever possible:
If you are watching a movie together, ask for their detailed review after it finishes. Ask about their likes and dislikes through little questions. This will not just let them be more expressive but eventually build more curiosity for next time.
If you are travelling in car, talk about sceneries and different objects. Make them speak about road conditions, billboards or things they see. This will make them fluent and observant.
If you are dining-out, let them read and work on the menu. Help them to decide by discussion about their favorite cuisines and flavors.
In short, do not miss these small opportunities to enhance your child’s communication. Excessive love bonding is a bonus. Yippee!
Appreciate more, Criticize less.
Often we hush away our kids if they come up with made up stories or Lame-for-us things and in this entire process, we deny the element that they are being child only it’s just that we have forgot to act like mature adults.
Give them value. Appreciate them often. Make wise use of your words. Try to maximize the use of encouraging words so they learn the same, build empathy and be kind with their communication. Give them positive attention and practice phrases like
Fine Very good Very fine Excellent Marvelous you’re doing better That’s perfect Good idea What a clever idea
That’s it Good job Great job controlling yourself I like the way you ______ I’m sure glad you are my son/daughter Now you’ve got it I love you
Not just in word, but your nonverbal communication should also be heartening. Hug them often. Clap for them. Pat their back. Smile. Tickle. Wink. Give a high five.
One word but vast influence. Read for them, read to them, read in front of them. Read for yourself. Just make sure you dedicate a certain part of your day to reading in eyes of your kids. This will create a major, huge (well add all other synonyms) in their social life.
Talk more, appreciate more, express more, listen more and there you go towards a perfect lane of communication skills building in your children.
We will definitely discuss some more perspectives regarding communication skills till then practice these easy peasy tips.
Like, share and provide me with your feedback
While everyone argues about vacations or no vacations this winter, lazy bug creeps in me too, all I want to do snug in to my blanket, watch TV, read a book or enjoy a cup of coffee but then these pending tasks won’t let me live this cozy life. So finally I decided to remove the dust off my laptop and use it to write a long waited excerpt from our conference which happened on 25th December PARENTING: UNLEASH THE REAL ART by karachi schools’ guide
Not everyone was able to attend this parenting workshop arranged exclusively by KARACHI SCHOOLS’ GUIDE so I decided to write a short blog post covering some important points we all learnt from this conference. Thanks to our amazing speakers, guests and panelists on board.
To be honest, when we first decided to execute this idea of organizing something exclusive for parents, We were not expecting much turnover but to our surprise not only over 150 parents bought tickets we also received overwhelming support from different schools and brands to organize this successful event which was a benchmark itself we are surely motivated to organize series of such events.
Event was followed by 4 speaker sessions, one panel discussion and note by chief guest. Few golden things which I learnt from all the above mentioned sessions are as followed
Being an adult, we have same level of expectations from our kids which is quite unfair for children. Why is it so difficult to let our child be child? The very first thing we should teach our kids is SELF ACCEPTANCE and should not judge them for things or allow others which are beyond their control. Make them accept the way they are and be the hero of their life as nobody else play the role as sincerely as you can. You will be surprise by the way their skills sparkle once you believe in your children the way they are.
Yes, indeed a great lesson I learnt from Ishroon Nazish’s session. Her poem related to the theme was highlight of the show. I know you will love it as much as I did.
- Normally when we talk about parenting, major focus is upon the role of mothers however very less bother to speak about the contribution of father towards the life of their children. Aseela jaliawala did a touchy session on fatherhood and I loved every bit of it. She was very right about the fact that Mom’s way promotes safety, obviously important. But Dad’s way promotes confidence and the ability to judge. The more you sow in this beautiful relationship, the better you reap in later stages of life as a father.
- Our world now revolves around gadgets and junk food. We instill bad eating habits in our kids and later complain. To bring the change in our kids, we first need to change ourselves. Moreover, if we are handing over drinks and chocolates to ours kids from very start and then wonder why our kids don’t eat vegetables, who is at fault? Thought provoking lesson given by Mudassir and Ayaz of team Mutrition showed us all a clear reflection of our daily life mistakes.
- Owais Mangalwala from express tribune raised an important issue about how parents get into a conflict with their older kids in terms of career and academic choices. We as a parent need to understand that we do not own the dreams of kids and we need to be as supportive as we can be when they are capable of making their career or degree choices. Forceful decision will bring no fruit hence ruining the future of kids. The world is changing and we need to step out of the paradigm of MBBS and engineering only.
- In a panel discussion, Maryam hanif ghazi humbly requested parents to stop overloading their kids with the stress of getting admissions in to their dream schools. She made them understand that child’s future do not revolve around few schools only and the world doesn’t ends on them however if you are preparing your child for certain school, keep it easy-going for them instead of making it a stressful journey which may harm their self-esteem in longer run.
- Rubina feroz, clinical psychologist, stressed on a fact that parents need to give more time to their kids in order to avoid psychological disorders in teenage years. She asked all parents to be there as a good friend for their children all the time. Her quote, “it is easier to become a mother or father but it is challenging to become a parent” touched my heart.
- Qurat ul ain altaf Hussain being an educationist shared her inspirational story about how she went against all the conventional bullying she faced during her childhood and proved herself in this challenging world. Her story taught us all that how a negative of role of any teacher can make a bad impact on any child however a timely support from parents can help a child to achieve anything in life.
- Almas tariq, remedial therapist from FOCUS shared an inspirational story about her son that how she coped up with his dyslexia and never gave up. SHe was immensely proud of her successful child and said that as parent we should never stop believing in our kids no matter what!
- Our chief guest Mr aziz memon raised a very important point of utilizing school buildings for more than one shifts to make access to education easier and affordable for all. I wish concerned authorities consider this issue for the well-being of citizens and use the assets in better way.
These were some of the important lessons I learnt from this conference and wish to learn more through such fruitful gatherings.
Share if you want other parents in your circle to implement some of these lessons.
Some Glimpses from the event
The Tag line itself is so powerful “AGAR TUM CHAHO” that it persuaded me to the peak because may it be a beginning or the end it is all about your own will to think out of the box or achieve big. I always convinced myself that public speaking is not my cup of tea. I was happy within my own paradigm that I can write well but I cannot speak up to the mark. However same routine and parallel activities are boring for me and when I read about this event by WMO YOUTH WING which was all about research-based presentation related to the problems snowballing within Memon community, I couldn’t resist and my exploratory nature forced me to register as a participant with my 4 other friends as a team
Life is a constant learning process and I take every new experience as a SWOT analysis of my own self. Participating in this competition made me regret why I missed the past events by WMO. These guilty pangs occurred after witnessing the potential of events arranged by WMO youth wing at THINK WISE sequel AGAR TUM CHAHO which also seemed to be their legendary benchmark
Now let me throw some light on the benefits I acquired after attending THINK WISE AGAR TUM CHAHO and why youth of Memon community should definitely look forward to such arrangements by WMO YOUTH WING
- This competition forced me to step out of my comfort zone and look for the solutions to the problems in which my own community is sinking. 8 teams, 8 problems, and more than 8 solutions magnificently united energetic and dedicated people under one roof. Efforts by all teams were commendable.
- Research? Presentations? Ah sounds boring no? I can bet no one from the audience snoozed in the entire presentation round and that’s the beauty of entire competition. Teams went beyond their capacity to prepare such presentations which thoroughly impressed the judges and kept the audience engaged. By looking at all those demonstrations, I surely noted down some public speaking and presentation tips to score the best.
- Team-work, yes! Team-work. Presenting to the audience and proper tuning with your team is easier said than done. I learnt how to work in a team and I comprehended marvelous exertion by other teams. Through this experience, I realized how important it is to understand the weaknesses and strengths of people around if you have to work together. Together we can achieve something extraordinary. Together we can bring in the change. Not just the participant teams but the entire event was a living example of dedicated team work. Hats off to the WMO-youth wing for tying the strings all together to bring in something which was lacking before in our community.
- This benefit is the one about which I can’t stop exaggerating. Things didn’t end after the event ended and I exited KSBL rather a whole new door of opportunity was opened for us. That’s the power of empowerment. The perfect guidance from mentors has motivated us to contribute our skills for the betterment of our community in near future.
- All is well that ends well. My day ended with a whole bunch of new friends and that too from Memon community. Now this is one amazing thing! Totally!
Motivational session by zohair ali and hilarious desi funkaryan theatre by Dramaculas were like a cherries on top. Surely blew away the stress of all teams.
I wish to be part of more such endeavors like Feminar sequels and SPARK. Congratulations WMO Youth wing Pakistan Chapter Khurram Shahzad, event leader Abdul Haseeb Vayani and his team for showcasing the remarkable effort by pulling off such significant event and helping people to raise their confidence to next level. More power to you people!
As a content writer, I was associated with this initiative of Lyari Se Yaari since 2015, yes I was connected with the team working from and for NO GO AREA, that’s what most of karachities like me who live across the bridge think about Lyari. Never in the last year, had I actually gathered any courage to visit the projects which have been flourished to prodigious magnitude with relentless hard work of people affiliated with it.
Finally for Inner Champ 2016, I decided to visit DCTO academy after acquiring enough inspiration from SABINA KHATRI (founder Kiran Foundation) and the team. Through out my journey with them as a content developer, I was witnessing their dedication through social media and it was time to meet the faces behind.
3 weeks back I forced my husband to take me to DCTO Academy for Inner champ 2016 boot camp and the moment I entered DCTO academy Lyari, forget the heat wave, a big surprising wave of amazement encompassed me.
Because the school premises was built up to the standards and undoubtedly better than some top notch schools of the city.
After meeting the entire team and teachers, there was another wave of reality surrounding me and I realized that entire aura of this school and people who work here has positivity, inspiration, and courage to break all the stereotypes about the Lyari Locale.
From classrooms to school walls, from a library to playground, everything was well-equipped and reflected the true vision of giving wings to people of Lyari through the weapon of education.
After such a hospitable visit, I stepped out of school with few imperative things which I learnt with all my heart
- The Youth of Lyari has some x-factor and that’s why the sky is the limit for them.
- There are two sides of the coin. There is one side of Lyari which media shows and there is another side which I perceived and definitely its opposite of what we read in a newspaper or watch on television.
- Education and awareness are important to the residents of Lyari and they are ever ready to learn new things.
Inner Champ 2016 which was held outside Lyari, rolled out successfully and I was amazed at the team that how brilliantly they handled up and downs pre and post event. They surely won’t give up and pass through every obstacle on the path towards success.
More power to the best people of Lyari!
Best of luck for future endeavors.
After food, shelter and clothes, facebook is slowly becoming a necessity for all and tech addicts. But there are few Don’ts one definitely need to know once you sign up for the Facebook account to save yourself and the world from online torture while scrolling a newsfeed.
- You don’t need to upload all 10 same selfies straight from your phone and then get frustrated when you don’t get likes on all of them.
- You don’t need to update your feelings every time you feel something. Trust me, your friend list will FEEL DISGUSTED by your feelings trauma.
- You don’t need to feel alone with 37 others. Yeah, no excessive tagging, please!
- You don’t need to expect a reply from a person if their messenger shows ACTIVE NOW! They don’t owe you a reply even if they are online.
- There is this thing called INBOX. Private messages should be sent via inbox instead of posting on person’s wall. A big NO NO for show off stuff
- If you are joining any Facebook group, do not forget to read the rules of that group otherwise you will be kicked out on breaking any of them and may lose some informative and virtual hangout place.
- Don’t like pages with cheap morals or images. This will create a negative impact of your personality.
- Do not exaggerate or write lies in your working/job status. ANNOYING IT IS!
- Your profile name should be your real name and not a cheesy one. No prince/princess/angel/sweet/sugary/spicy first or last names PLEASE!
- Do not add every other random person in your friend list as it will create extreme privacy infringement.
- Do not upload your personal pictures with “PUBLIC” privacy settings.
- It is better to communicate with your life partner in personal instead of doing JANU MANU DARLING SHARlING publicly.
- And most of all, do not expect from everyone to agree with your perception. Develop some tolerance instead of bashing others for nothing.
Ever heard about a language which is the most distilled and most powerful? The language which you learn once you start to feel and observe things around with depth of your soul? The Language which comprises of beautiful words having the supremacy to transform lives? Talking about none other than the language of poetry. The more you pay heed to this language, more you fall in love with it. And that’s exactly what happened to me after attending two episodes of POETRY SLAM KARACHI. One-of-the-kind event brought all poetry lovers together on a single floor to speak their heart out.
Here is my take on why poetry slam episodes are worth attending:
- You will get to meet people who share the equivalent love for words as you do. I cheered to new friendships. Time to share my write-ups with some new folks and read theirs’.
- You will witness the tornado of talent, confidence and coolness. Definitely ending up being wowed by amazing performers. I found myself drowning in the sea of emotions.
- If you are a poet already, you will be buckled up to write more and if not, who knows a poet is born after attending this poetry slam. You will not resist to get back to your keyboard or get hold of your writing pad. I actually observed people writing fresh poetries while sitting there and that’s what I call a perfect poetic evolution.
- The applaud you receive after performing over an open mic is bound to take you to the seventh sky and confidence level rises up to infinity. I performed and messed up a bit too but gained a lifetime experience.
- They say, “To have great poets, there must be great audiences.” Poetry Slam Karachi has surely acquired an awesome bunch of attendees. You will feel welcomed and you don’t have to be a poet to show up but just a decent listener.
All in all, a great initiative to revive the literature and sparkle its crown which is called POETRY. Looking forward to more of such excitement in future. Thumbs up to Nida Saif (CEO) and her team. Enjoyed being a Brand Ambassador of #poetryslamkhi